Saturday, March 13, 2010

Bonnieux and Pernes les Fontaines

We started Monday with snow! It had snowed the afternoon and night. We got to have a quick play in the powder, but then it was gone. There was however enough snow that the school buses weren't running. This prevented me from going to school. So saaaadddd.. We all stayed inside and tried not to catch a cold. We were surprised as that afternoon the snow had melted so much that I was able to go and play with Paul, the boy across the road! The next day I had to go to school again. Ohhhhh.... On Wednesday we started school with a huge match of handball. I scored a goal! I love handball.

On Friday I stayed home from school again, due to a teachers' strike. I went to visit Bonnieux with Mum and Dad. Bonnieux is a hill top town near Gordes which is ranked as "one of the most beautiful villages in France". The village is in the Luberon Mountains.

In Bonnieux, many homes are very old. They were built from stone many centries ago. We found a delicious boulangerie to warm our noses and fill our stomachs. We then climbed to the very top of Bonnieux, to the old church and surrounding park. The trees were great for climbing, with long branches about a metre apart from each other and perfectly situated up the tree for climbing.





We then drove on to the village of Oppede. Oppede itself is not so special, however the old village of Oppede is scarcely populated and mostly in ruins. It is mysterious and beautiful. As there are very few people who live there now, it's quite eerie. We wondered all around the old village that was taken over by Ivy vines. We climbed to the very top, again where there was an old church and fort as well.



That night I had soccer training. We played a scratch game with the team. I played a great game after being sent up front and hoped I would do as well tomorrow in our real match. Saturday was a big game of soccer and a win to top it off. I was exhausted.


A teacher at my school has an exchange student staying with her and her family, called Thalia. She is Australian as well and is very nice. She came over to our house and hung out with us. That night, an English girl called Rachael from down the road, came to look after us because Mum and Dad went to dinner with some friends. We ate Spaghetti Bolognese with Emmental cheese.

Today, we went to Pernes Les Fontaines. In my first blog, I told you that we went there to the town to stroll through the markets. This time, it was to look at the 40 fountains in the town. The fountains are old and were quite beautiful. There were two sun dials on one of the church's walls. A sun dial relies on the sun's light to make a shadow which represents the hour hand. It is always out by about five to ten minutes.


After seeing the fountains and the old town, we stopped in a Chinese restaurant for lunch. I had squid with lemon grass which was very different. It was good to have some different food.

Au revoir!

No comments:

Post a Comment